Research Accountant (Relocation Provided)
Paid relocation jobs in South Dakota
Black Hills Corporation
Location: Rapid City, SD, United States
Job ID: 32681
Date Posted: Mar 13, 2020
Salary: $74,800 to $112,200 annually
This position requires relocation to Rapid City, South Dakota. See paid relocation details below.
This important role will directly support the Accounting Research function for Black Hills Corporation. Provide guidance to corporate accounting, regulatory, finance, tax, and other staff related to the appropriate application of GAAP (Generally Accepted Accounting Principles) and FERC (Federal Energy Regulatory Commission) accounting guidance.
Assist with financial reporting responsibilities as assigned including, but not limited to, preparation of management reporting, SEC financial statement filings, subsidiary financial statements, and FERC financial statements.
Perform routine and special projects for management including technical accounting research and analysis, preparation of documentation and accounting memos, and classification and recording of accounting transactions in accordance with GAAP and FERC.
SALARY RANGE: $74,800 – $112,200 (Determined by the knowledge, skills and abilities of the applicant.)
REPORTING RELATIONSHIP: Manager, Accounting Research
LOCATION: Rapid City, South Dakota: You’ll find that it is the ideal community to live, work and do business in. With hiking trails, the Black Hills, Mount Rushmore and Badlands National Park in your backyard, there are endless opportunities to enjoy nature.
- Rapid City – Hidden Gem of the West: https://vimeo.com/154115762
- Rapid City Chamber of Commerce: https://www.rapidcitychamber.com/moving-to-rapid-city
- A Comprehensive Relocation Plan is offered for this position! Our benefits include but are not limited to: home finding trip, transportation of household goods, temporary housing expenses, destination apartment search assistance, paid time off to move, transition and spousal career support, home finder and purchase assistance, relocation adjustment allowance, destination new purchase closing costs. Depending on individual circumstances, our benefit may also include trips home during temporary housing, renter’s lease cancellation assistance, or home marketing and sale closing cost assistance and/or purchase closing cost assistance. Contents of our relocation program are subject to change and may vary based on position.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
- Assist with research of accounting issues and preparation of accounting memos on positions taken by the Company that impact the financial statements.
- Provide technical accounting assistance and interpretations to management, accounting, regulatory, finance, tax and other staff.
- Assist in the development and maintenance of accounting and financial reporting policies and procedures ensuring compliance with GAAP, FERC, and SOX requirements as well as provide sound business practices.
- Maintain a current working knowledge of accounting rules and regulations and how those may impact BHC activities, including GAAP, FERC, and SOX requirements.
- Provide active and direct support in assurance of the timely and accurate preparation and filing of periodic SEC filings (10-K, 10-Q, 8-K, and 11-K) and earnings releases in compliance with all SEC requirements, GAAP, and Company policies.
- Assist with preparation and review of internal financial management, Board and ad hoc reports; subsidiary financial statements; pro forma financial statements; and FERC reporting.
- Prepare and review GAAP and SEC checklists.
- Continually identify opportunities for increased efficiency and effectiveness; implement and document process changes while maintaining effective internal controls and accurate financial information; and support special accounting system enhancement projects.
- Support and coordinate internal / external audit, quarterly review, SOX review, and regulatory data requests, ensuring timely and accurate supporting documentation is presented in a useful and understandable format.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Must establish and maintain effective and professional working relationships with accounting research and financial reporting co-workers, as well as other corporate accounting, finance and regulatory functions, utility operations, internal audit, external audit, and management.
- Minimum of 7 years of progressive accounting, finance, and/or audit experience, preferably in either public accounting or a publically traded SEC reporting company.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance required.
- CPA or MBA strongly preferred.
- Accounting research and SEC financial reporting experience preferred.
- Experience in a utility or energy related industry a plus.
- Supervisory experience preferred.
- Thorough knowledge of GAAP, FERC, and SEC pronouncements, guidelines, and reporting requirements, with practical application through business and accounting methods and procedures, is required.
- Working understanding of utility operations and regulatory/ratemaking processes and methods is preferred.
- Excellent written and verbal communication and organizational skills with a strong ability to articulate, communicate and influence, as this position requires the individual to manage multiple priorities and to effectively work with and through cross-functional teams.
- Must have strong GAAP/FERC/SEC technical accounting skills with ability to interpret, implement, and drive effective decisions.
- Proven ability to develop and maintain effective internal and external business relationships.
- Problem solving and analytical skills; strategic thinker; attention to detail; and ability to work independently.
- Desire to be an integral part of a high performing team.
MENTAL/PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS AND WORKING CONDITIONS:
The mental and physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Mental Requirements: Ability to understand, remember, apply oral and/or written instructions or other information, and communicate routine factual information. Ability to make decisions which have low to moderate impact on immediate department.
While performing the duties of this job, the employee is continuously (67% or more) required to: use fingers and hands, communicate, and have close visual acuity.
Employee is frequently (34-66%) required to: ascend/descend stairs, position self to access lower items, and move about the office. Employee must be able to operate routine office equipment including computers and similar equipment.
Must be able to routinely perform this work for an average of 6-8 hours per day and occasional extended hours as necessary. Must be capable of regular, reliable, and timely attendance.
Specific lifting abilities required by this job include: Sedentary work. Exerting up to 10 pounds of force occasionally and/or negligible amount of force frequently or continuously to lift, carry, push, pull or sitting most of the time. Jobs are sedentary if walking and standing are required only occasionally and all other sedentary criteria are met.
Work environment: Must be able to routinely perform work indoors in climate-controlled shared work area with moderate noise level.
Must be capable of occasional travel (less than 10 days per year) by automobile (as driver and passenger), commercial airlines, rental vehicles and public transportation and be able to lodge in public facilities.
This description is not intended to be an all-inclusive list of responsibilities, duties, and requirements for employees in this position. Job descriptions may and do change periodically. Where positions are covered by a collective bargaining unit agreement, the terms and conditions of the collective bargaining unit agreement will apply.
About our Company: We are a customer focused, growth-oriented utility company that is devoted to our communities. We have a mission to improve life with energy and a vision to be the energy partner of choice.
Our diverse culture sparks unique perspectives, opening doors to new ideas and possibilities. Based in Rapid City, South Dakota, we have over 2900 employees and serve 1.2 million natural gas and electric utility customers across eight states (South Dakota, Montana, Wyoming, Colorado, Nebraska, Iowa, Kansas, and Arkansas).
Enjoy our Comprehensive Benefits Package: annual incentive program, 401(k) (6% company match and up to 9% company retirement contribution), tuition reimbursement, paid time off, additional Veteran PTO, military leave differential pay, paid holidays and annual floating holidays, company paid short term and long term disability, paid maternity and paternity benefits, health and wellness program, and competitive medical, dental and vision insurance.
Candidates must successfully pass a pre-employment drug screen and background check.
Black Hills Energy does not sponsor applicants for work visas. All applicants must be legally authorized to work in the US.
EOE, Including disability/vets.